Thursday, April 18, 2013

Courage

How would you define courage? I used to think that courage and bravery was pretty much that same thing. I think most people do. When I used to hear that words "She is a courageous woman" I thought of a woman that was strong. I picture a woman standing tall, which both feet planted firmly on the ground and her hands on her hips. Basically, I picture wonder Women.

I recently learned something along my quest of becoming my authentic self and making my voice heard. I was reading an article written by and amazing woman named Brene Brown. She said that about courage:

"The root of the word courage is cor -- the Latin word for heart. In one of its earliest forms, the word courage had a very different definition than it does today. Courage originally meant to speak one's mind by telling all one's heart.

Over time, this definition has changed, and, today courage is more synonymous with being heroic. Heroics are important and we certainly need heroes, but I think we've lost touch with the idea that speaking honestly and openly about who we are, about what we're feeling, and about our experiences (good and bad) is the definition of courage."

After I read this I asked myself, "Am I a courageous women?" When I speak my mind do I speak from my heart? I though about all of the times in my life when I was too afraid to say what I really wanted to because I was too afraid that people would see who I really was. I thought people wanted to see someone that was brave and strong and Wonder Woman-ish. I am now beginning to realized that people want to someone that is vulnerable, imperfect, authentic and human.

A dear friend of mind, said the her definition of courage is being your authentic self in all situations...regardless. Now when I hear the words, "She is a courageous women" I think of her, who lives her definition of courage each day. I think of a women who accepts her imperfections and knows that she is always worthy of love and acceptance. I think of all the women in my life who have taken chances, who have put themselves in vulnerable situations because they understand that to really live and love they must open their hearts

No comments: